On June 11, Gastown’s Salt Tasting Room sabered open some bubbles to celebrate some Sparkling Wines of the World, as part of their Cellar Series.
The first course included the following wine and food pairings:
- Zardetto Prosecco with Ash Camembert and Pear and Vanilla Jelly
- Sartori ‘Arnea’ Soave Spumante with fresh Chevre and Apple Chutney
- Villa Conchi Cava with Proscuitto di Parma and Piparras peppers
The second course included the following wine and food pairings:
- Tantalus Old Vines Sparkling Riesling with Con Aglio and Apricot and beer jelly
- Kanazawa ‘Pika Pika’ with Vitano Raspberry and Mostarda
- Josef Chromy NV Brut with Murcia al Vino and Fig and Nut Bread
What made this tasting even more memorable, was when I learned how to saber my first bottle of sparkling wine! The host Kyle made it look very easy, sabering off the top within seconds. It took me a few minutes, but when I hit the sweet spot, the top flew right off.
Be sure to check out the Salt Tasting Room next Cellar Series event on July 4, when the tasting room hosts Kelowna’s Mission Hill Winery. Tickets are only $51.60 and includes both food and wine courses- a total of 6 tastings!