Last week, the Vancouver International Wine Festival closed its doors and said “au revoir” to theme Country France and wrapped up its 36 annual festival. Even though we are sad the Festival is over, we are already counting down the days until next year which will feature Australia as the theme country with a global focus on Syrah!!
Syrah is one of the top 10 most grown grapes in the world. In BC, these grapes typically grow well in southern Okanagan, Osoyoos in particular.
So to prepare for next years Festival and get ready for the Aussie’s, we’ve created a fun list of Australian Slang. You’ve got a year to practice:
- Ace: excellent, very good
- Arvo: afternoon
- Back of Bourke: to come a long way away
- Barbie: barbecue
- Big Smoke: a big city
- Bloody oath: thats certainly true
- Boozer: a pub
- Cab Sav: Cabernet Sauvignon
- Cleanskin: bottle of wine without a label
- Cobber: a friend
- Down Under: Australia
- Drink with the flies: to drink alone
- Exy: expensive
- Face, off one’s: drunk
- G’Day: hello!
- Plonk: cheak wine
The 37th Vancouver International Wine Festival is scheduled to run February 23 to March 1, 2015.
Be sure to mark these important dates on your calendar:
- Tuesday, November 4, 2014- Advance tickets go on sale
- Tuesday, January 6, 2015- All public events go on sale
- Tuesday, January 27, 2015- Tickets to trade days events go on sale