Summerland’s Okanagan Crush Pad is home to some impressive BC Wine brands including Haywire, Narrative, Free Form and recently Bizou & Yukon. All of these wines are made at the Crush Pad by winemaker Matt Dumayne. He uses different wine making techniques including using concrete eggs, clay amphora’s, oak and stainless steel to age wines.
I recently received a package from OK Crush Pad including two of their brands- the Free Form and Narrative wines!
Free Form: wines shaped by nature. In the Okanagan, vines are planted on land formed over 9,000 years ago by retreating glaciers. From these vineyards, Free Form wines are made from 100% organic grapes, native yeast, free from additives and use minimal intervention in the wine making process.
Fun Fact: Free Form wine labels are created using eco-friendly stone paper to save trees and water completely!!
- Blanc de Noir 2017 | organic Pinot Noir from Garnet Valley Ranch Vineyard | who bunch pressed to concrete tank | natural fermentation| $39.90
- Riesling 2018 |from Garnet Valley Ranch Vineyard | whole bunch pressed with native fermentation in an 800L clay amphora | $34.90
- Sauvignon Blanc 2018 |grown in Summerland | destemmed and fermented naturally in combination of stainless steel and clay amphorae | 9 months ageing on skins | pressed & blended in large concrete for 2 months | $29.90
- Rose 2018 |organic Cabernet Franc from Osoyoos Vineyard | Naturally fermented in concrete | lush, savoury fruit with juicy acidity *perfect food wine!! |$26.90
- Cabernet Sauvignon 2018 | organic Cabernet Sauvignon from Osoyoos Vineyard |fermented and aged in concrete tanks| $44.90
- Cabernet Franc 2017 |organic Cabernet Franc from Kaleden Vineyard |destemmed and put into clay amphorae and three large oak vessels | Native fermentation started spontaneously |8 months skin contact | $44.90
Narrative: wines that tell a story of whats most exciting about the Okanagan Valley. The geological and climatic diversity of the region that spans 120km, north to south. It truly is a special place- from snow capped mountains to the desert- and Narrative Wines are all about telling that story!
- Pinot Blanc 2018 |mouthwatering palate with melon fruit and herbaceous note | $22.90
- Viognier 2018 |slow fermentation in concrete tanks | deep tropical notes with lengthy finish | $24.90
- Narrative XC Method bubbles |fresh sparkling wine crafted from grapes grown in Summerland and Oliver vineyards | secondary fermentation in charmat tanks | Toasty, creamy notes | $24.90
- Narrative Rose 2019 | Pinot based Rose, floral & red berry aromatics | $19.90
All wines are available for purchase online here. Use code “stay safe” for a $20 shipping credit on 12 bottles +.
Okanagan Crush Pad is set to re-open for the season on June 10 from 11am-5pm. The tasting experience will include wine flights served table side. Make a reservation here!